West Ham vs Manchester City | English Premier League Preview and betting prediction
With two games left to go in the ’21-’22 English Premier League campaign, Manchester City can win the domestic title if they beat West Ham at the London Stadium on Sunday.
West Ham’s hopes of winning the Europa league and playing in the UEFA Champions League next season ended with their loss to Eintracht Frankfurt. They will be eager to climb back into 6th position with a win over the Cityzens.
Manchester City also had their European dreams ended by Real Madrid recently. Closing out their season ahead of the still-chasing Liverpool is their utmost priority now.
Despite missing several important players, the Manchester City squad is still as ruthlessly efficient as ever, as shown by the 5 goals they scored in each of their last two games.
Who wins this game? Which player from either side will prove pivotal?
Read on below for our match and betting preview!
West Ham vs Manchester City H2H record
In 44 games West Ham have won 7 games, Manchester City have won 29 games and the two sides have shared the points 8 times.
Manchester City’s dominance is also reflected in their League standings. The home side is 7th on the Premier League log with 55 points from 36 games while City have accumulated 89 points from the same number of games.
The two sides have met twice already this season; City won their first Premier League meeting 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium. West Ham also won their October EFL Cup fixture on penalties.
West Ham’s recent form does not bode well for their chances against City. The Hammers have lost four and won just one of their last five games (W-L-L-L-L) while the away side have won four and lost one of their last five games (W-W-L-W-W).
West Ham vs Manchester City Team News
Nigerian-born Italian international, Angelo Ogbonna is out after suffering a season-ending Cruciate Ligament injury against Liverpool in November.
Craig Dawson (Calf injury), Michail Antonio (Hip injury) and Saïd Benrahma (Ankle injury) are all doubts for the game. The trio will need to pass a late fitness test if they’re to make the game.
Expected West Ham starting lineup: Alphonse Areola. Ben Johnson, Kurt Zouma, Aaron Cresswell. Vladimir Coufal, Declan Rice, Tomáš Souček, Arthur Masuaku. Jarrod Bowen, Pablo Fornals. Manuel Lanzini. (3-4-3)
Manchester City players; John Stones (Hamstring injury), Kyle Walker (Ligament issues) and Ruben Dias (Muscle injury) will all miss the West Ham game after suffering season-ending injuries.
Grizzled veteran, Fernandinho might also miss the West Ham game after picking up a muscle injury against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Wednesday.
Expected Manchester City Lineup: Ederson. João Cancelo, Nathan Ake, Aymeric Laporte, Oleksandr Zinchenko. Rodri, Bernardo Silva, Kevin de Bruyne. Riyad Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Raheem Sterling.
Jarrod Bowen eclipsed Michail Antonio this season to become West Ham’s best player with 10 goals (from 11.5 xG) and 10 assists in the English Premier League this season.
Over at Manchester City, Kevin De Bruyne has scored 15 Premier League goals (from 5.6xG) to go with 7 assists.
Both teams will rely heavily on their star performers to inspire them to victory on Sunday.
- West Ham have conceded 1.3 goals/game (9th best in the Premier League), compared to Manchester City who have conceded just 0.6 goals/game (best in the EPL)
- The home side have failed to win any of their last four home fixtures. That Manchester City have picked up the most away points in the English Premier League this season is ominous news for West Ham.
- West Ham average just 48.4% possession and 356.9 accurate oases/game this season, compared to Man City’s league-leading 67.9% possession average and 618.6 accurate passes/game.
- The two teams are the most disciplined in the Premier League. West Ham average the least fouls per game (8.5), closely followed by Manchester City’s 8.6 fouls/game in second place. They have both also received the least bookings in the EPL this season. West Ham’s 43 yellow cards and 3 red cards is only bettered by Manchester City’s 41 yellow cards and 1 red card.
- West Ham have conceded 5 penalties this season (11th best in the Premier League). Against a Manchester City side that have won the 2nd-most penalties (8), they will need to be especially careful to avoid conceding cheap fouls in their 18-yard box.
West Ham vs Manchester City predictions
- Man City to win @ 1.40
- Over 2.5 goals @ 1.55
- Over 8.5 corners @ 1.23
- Bet on a penalty to be taken at some point during the game @ 2.85
Enjoy our amazing bonuses, odds, Daily Specials, Kings Combo and our special OddsBoost this weekend here!
*DISCLAIMER: Odds are subject to change