West Ham United vs Eintracht Frankfurt: Europa League Preview And Betting Prediction
Thursday’s marquee fixture features London side, West Ham going head-to-head with Germany’s Eintracht Frankfurt for a place in the Europa League final.
For a West Ham side who were confident of finishing in the top four places at the beginning of the season, this game is a chance for them to still make it to the Champions League next season, despite their indifferent form in the last couple of months.
Unlike West Ham, Frankfurt are not even in the running for a European slot next season. If they want to avoid missing out on the much-needed cash injection European football brings, they must also lift the Europa League trophy.
Read on for our match analysis and betting preview!
West Ham United vs Eintracht Frankfurt H2H
The two teams have not faced each other since 1976 when they met in the European Cup Winners Cup. Both teams won their home games, but West Ham advanced by scoring more goals on aggregate (4-3).
West Ham are 7th in the English Premier League with 52 points from 34 games while the away team are 9th on the Bundesliga log with 40 points from 31 games.
West Ham’s form has been poor lately with just one win, two losses and two draws from their last five games. (Form: L-D-W-L-D). Frankfurt has a similar record to West Ham, albeit in a different order than the Irons. (Form: D-L-W-L-D)
West Ham United vs Eintracht Frankfurt Team News
Angelo Ogbonna (Cruciate ligament injury), Issa Diop (Ligament injury) are both out for the season while under-fire defender, Kurt Zouma (ankle injury) is out until the middle of May.
West Ham head coach, David Moyes, has gone all-in on the Europa League this season, as shown by his decision to rest his main players against Chelsea last week.
Expected West Ham starting lineup: Alphonse Areola. Ben Johnson, Craig Dawson, Aaron Cresswell. Vladimir Coufal, Declan Rice, Tomáš Souček, Arthur Masuaku. Jarrod Bowen, Pablo Fornals. Michail Antonio
Frankfurt goalkeeper, Diant Ramaj (knee injury) is out of the game while central defender, Evan N’Dicka, and midfielder, Kristijan Jakic are both suspended.
Expected Eintracht Frankfurt starting lineup: Kevin Trapp. Makoto Hasebe, Martin Hinteregger, Tuta. Ansgar Knauff, Djibril Sow, Sebastian Rode, Filip Kostic. Daichi Kamada, Jesper Lindstrom, Rafael Borre. (4-3-3)
- West Ham are unbeaten in their last 8 home games, scoring 11 goals over that period.
- Eintracht Frankfurt have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 5 games, conceding 9 goals in the process. West Ham’s last five games have seen the Hammers score five goals and concede five.
- West Ham have conceded the least goals per game (5 goals in 10 games) in the Europa League this season while Eintracht Frankfurt are the 10th best in that stat with 11 goals conceded in 10 games. West Ham also have 6 clean sheets in 10 games – the most clean sheets in the competition while Frankfurt have just one clean sheet in the same number of games.
- Both teams have identical ball dominance stats in the Europa League this season with 46.9% average possession per game.
- Frankfurt have shown terrible discipline in the Europa League this season with 16.60 fouls/game accumulating 18 yellow cards along the way while West Ham have 9.30 fouls per game with 13 yellow cards. The German side also have the most red cards among teams left in the competition with two red cards while West Ham have received just one red card this season. Frankfurt have also conceded 3 penalties, the most in the UEL.
- The two teams have both scored 17 goals in the Europa League this season.
- Both teams have a track record of coming back from a difficult position to win. West Ham beat Europa League record holders, Sevilla after losing the first leg. Eintracht Frankfurt beat favorites, Barcelona at the Camp Nou to advance to the semifinals.
West Ham United vs Eintracht Frankfurt Prediction
With odds of 2.00, West Ham are backed by the experts to win.
Frankfurt’s last five games have featured at least two goals in each game while the only West Ham game with under 2 goals was the Chelsea game they rested players for. Over 1.5 goals @ 1.32 is a smart bet as well.
The German side are a decent bet to get at least 3 yellow cards in this game, based on their poor disciplinary record in the Europa League this season. We have Eintracht Frankfurt over 2.5 cards @ 1.98.
Finally, we have King’s Combo offers, including this value offer; West Ham 1X & over 2.5 goals @ 2.75.
Check out other King’s Combo offers as well as our OddsBoost and other special offers on BetKing today!